Biomechanics of locomotion and posture.
Mechanisms of accurate target stepping.
Balance during walking in complex natural environments.
2015 - present, Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Therapy, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA.
2012 - 2015, Postdoctoral Fellow, Hulse Spinal Cord Injury Laboratory, Shepherd Center, Atlanta, GA
Biomedical Engineering, 2006, Georgia Institute of Technology,
Applied Physiology, 2006 - 2012,
Research advisor Dr. Prilutsky, co-advisor Dr. Beloozerova. Brad defended his Ph.D. on October 29th, 2012.
2005 - 2006, Undergraduate Research Assistant, Dept of Applied Physiology, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
2006 - 2012, Graduate
Research Assistant, Dept of Applied Physiology, Georgia Institute
1. Farrell BJ, Bulgakova M, Sirota MG., Prilutsky BI, Beloozerova IN. Accurate stepping on a narrow path: mechanics, EMG and motor cortex activity in the cat. J. Neurophysiol., 114(5): 2682-2702, 2015. PDF
2. Klishko AN, Farrell BJ, Beloozerova IN, Latash ML, Prilutsky BI. Stabilization of cat paw trajectory during locomotion. J. Neurophysiol., 112(6):1376-1391, 2014. PDF
3. Farrell BJ, Bulgakova MA, Beloozerova IN, Sirota MG, Prilutsky
BI. Body stability and muscle and motor cortex activity during walking with side stance. J. Neurophysiol.,
112(3): 504-524, 2014.
112(3): 504-524, 2014. PDF
4. Farrell BJ, Prilutsky BI, Kistenberg RS, Dalton JF 4th, Pitkin M. An animal model to evaluate skin-implant-bone integration and gait with a prosthesis directly attached to the residual limb. Clin. Biomech. (Bristol, Avon), 29(3): 336-349, 2014. link
5. Farrell BJ, Prilutsky BI, Ritter JM, Kelley S, Popat K, Pitkin M. Effects of pore size, implantation time, and nano-surface properties on rat skin ingrowth into percutaneous porous titanium implants. J Biomed Mater Res A., 102(5):1305-1315, 2014. PDF
6. Hodson-Tole EF, Pantall A, Maas H, Farrell BJ, Gregor RJ, Prilutsky BI. Task-dependent activity of motor unit populations in feline ankle extensor muscles. J. Exp. Biol., 215 (Pt 21): 3711-3722, 2012. PDF
8. Beloozerova IN, Farrell BJ, Sirota MG, and Prilutsky BI. Differences in movement mechanics, electromyographic, and motor cortex activity between accurate and non-accurate stepping. J. Neurophysiol., 103: 2285-2300, 2010. PDF
9. Prilutsky BI, Klishko AN, Farrell B, Harley L, Phillips G, Bottasso CL. Movement coordination in skilled tasks: Insights from optimization. In: Advances in Neuromuscular Physiology of Motor Skills and Muscle Fatigue (Shinohara M Ed.), Research Signpost, 2010.
Klishko AN, Farrell BJ, Beloozerova IN, Latash ML, Prilutsky BI. Control
of the cat paw trajectory during walking on a flat surface and horizontal
ladder. 2012 American Society of
Biomechanics Annual Meeting,
Farrell BJ, Bulgakova MA, Sirota
MG, Prilutsky BI, Beloozerova IN. Frontal plane mechanics and activity of motor
cortex during locomotor tasks with challenging requirements for lateral
stability. Program No 710.10. 2011
Neuroscience Meeting Planner.
3. Klishko AN, Farrell BJ, Latash ML, Prilutsky BI. Paw trajectories of cat fore- and hindlimbs are stabilized during swing of walking on a flat surface and horizontal ladder. Soc. Neurosci. Meeting, 2010.
4. Bulgakova M, Farrell BJ, Gregor RJ, Prilutsky BI. Short-term motor adaptation to denervation of feline selected ankle extensor muscles results in preservation of ankle mechanical output during locomotion. Soc. Neurosci. Meeting, 2010.
5. Farrell BJ, Bulgakova M, Hodson-Tole EE, Shah S, Gregor RJ, Prilutsky BI. Short-term locomotor adaptations to denervation of lateral gastrocnemius and soleus muscles in the cat. Soc. Neurosci. Meeting, 658.11, 2009.
Farrell BJ, Stout EE, Sirota MG, Beloozerova IN, Prilutsky BI. Accurate target
stepping in the cat: the full-body mechanics and activity of limb muscles. Program No 860.7. 2008 Neuroscience Meeting
Farrell BJ, Beloozerova IN, Prilutsky BI. Three dimensional kinematics and kinetics
of the center of mass of the cat during walking on a narrow walkway. The
North American Congress on Biomechanics. August 2008. The
Farrell BJ, Beloozerova IN, Prilutsky BI. Full-body kinematics during precise
stepping in the cat. Second South East Biomechanics Conference, April
10. Farrell B, Astary G, Kumar R. Design of a fatigue testing apparatus for a spinal stabilization device. Senior Design Project, 2006.